Yearly Goals - October 6th 2005 to October 5th 2006
The aim is to, at the least, achieve all these goals. The time allocated is from October 6th 2005 to midnight October 5th 2006.
I’ve archived my 2004⁄2005 PiP and it can now be found on the 2004⁄2005 Pragmatic Investment Plan page.
Note: This page is actually getting a surprisingly high amount of traffic so I thought I should add some comments and an attribution. The original idea for a Pragmatic Investment Plan comes from Dave Thomas and Andy Hunt, the Pragmatic Programmers, to be specific the very interesting slides from the How To Keep Your Job presentation, if you’ve never seen them and you work in a technology field then I suggest you spend some quality time with them, they might just save your salary in years to come.
The goals underneath are my own and have nothing to do with the Pragmatic Programmers, who are probably at the stage where their todo lists has such items as “become a being of pure energy.” Buy their books, it’s worth it.
- Write and publish four technical articles.
- Attain two tech industry certificates/attend two training courses.
- Attend two technical conferences. (Non-speaking)
- Read and review twelve books.
- Go It Alone - The Streetwise Secrets of Self- employment
- The Database Relational Model: A Retrospective Review
- Peopleware: Productive Projects and Teams.
- Project Manager's Spotlight on Change Management.
- Non-Designers Design Book (1st Edition)
- Small Giants: Companies That Choose to Be Great Instead of Big
- Perl Debugger Pocket Reference
- Visible Ops
- The Ten Career Commandments
- Perl Testing Developers Notebook Review.
- Time Management for System Administrators Review.
- Building Scalable Web Sites
- Organise Two Technical Events
- Areas to investigate:
- Multipath IO
- Design by contract
- Automated hardening
- Failover Firewalls (OpenBSD CARP)
Write and publish four applications/plugins/components that are downloaded by at least 50 people each.
- Add to Delicious Blosxom plugin.
- Backup RCS Directories Script.
- GoogleSets Command Line Interface
- Greasemonkey Scripts.
Write a useful CPAN module:
And that was October 6th 2005 to October 5th 2006.